Eyelash Extension Aftercare
So you’ve just splurged on spoiling yourself with your first set of lashes! It’s super important that you follow all of the Aftercare Advice so that you can get the most out of your Eyelash Extensions! Following these simple steps, you’ll be able to prolong the life of your lashes!
Eyelash Extensions are incredibly delicate and will last best when they’re cared for properly. How long your eyelash extensions last all comes down to the aftercare you provide for them.
Why should I follow Lash Aftercare?:
Lash Guarantee. We guarantee all of our Eyelash Extensions for the first 3-5 days. If you have extreme fall out, we will fix them for free so long as the correct aftercare has been followed.
Healthy Lash Life! Clean lashes are healthy lashes! If you aren’t following aftercare, you could cause damage to your natural eyelashes. Eyelash Extensions are damage free so long as aftercare is correctly followed. Incorrect aftercare can lead to damage, infections and more.
Longer Lasting. Eyelash extensions that have been correctly cared for will alst longer & keep their full and fluffy look for weeks. Get the most out of your investment!
- Save Money. If you look after your lashes and follow aftercare correctly, you won’t need to come in as frequently or for extended infill appointments, which will save you money. Our infills are charged based on the amount of lashes that we have to replace each time.
How to care for lashes:
- Keep them as dry as possible for 24 hours. This means, it’s ideal if don’t wash your hair during this time. However, if you need to, use only lukewarm water, and keep water off your eyes. This also includes avoiding steamy environments, very hot showers, spas, saunas etc. for 24 hours as a minimum. All of this will allow the adhesive to cure as strongly as possible.
- Avoid picking or playing with your lash extensions, the more you touch them, the more oils from your fingers get on them, the more strain on the lash root etc.
- Cleanse after swimming, crying, wearing make-up, sweating or anything that may come into contact with your lash extensions. Exposure to oils, salts & chemicals can weaken the bond so ensure you are cleansing regularly.
- If you have a very oily face, try to control this as much as possible with blotting papers, mattifying lotions, or by using oil-control moisturizer. This will help reduce the amount of oils around the lash extensions and help them last longer.
- Make sure you are using oil-free products on your face, particularly eye makeup removers and cleansers. We recommend Prolong Lash Cleanser as a perfect all over face make up remover & Eyelash Extension Cleanser.
- Brush through Lash Cleanser with a brush, focusing on your lash line & rinse with water to keep the lashes nice and clean. Brush & pat dry with a Micro Fibre cloth to keep the lashes flawless. Our Deluxe Aftercare Kit comes with all of our fav aftercare products at a discounted rate so you can save money & get the most out of your lashes.
- Use a Silk Pillowcase to avoid friction on your pillowcase at night. If your noticing the side you sleep on is loosing more lashes than the other side, switching to a Silk Pillowcase will help the lashes glide by rather than snag and come out.
- Let us know before your infill if you think you will need more time because you have lost more lashes than expected, or want to upgrade to a thicker set/more lashes.
- Let us know if you have any concerns or questions – we’re always happy to help!
- Do not play with or pick at your lashes, rub your eyes roughly. If you are a picker, it can really damage your natural lashes.
- Do not use oily products on your eyes or face
- Do not use waterproof or oil based mascara or eyeliner
- Do not use any mascara
- Do not use baby wipes/makeup wipes/cotton pads to wipe makeup off them
- Do not try to remove them yourself – as it may damage your natural lashes. We can remove them for you if you wish
- Do not use cleansing oils, coconut oil etc. on your face if you want the lashes to last
- Do not put strip lashes on top of them unless you are prepared to lose a few of your own lashes when you try to take them off.
What is normal
- It’s normal lose a couple of lashes every day (1-5). Don’t be alarmed if you notice them from time to time (as they are much larger than your natural lashes). The extension falls out attached to the natural lash when it is ready to come out, and a new baby lash takes its place. Some days you won’t lose any, other days you might lose 3 or 4. It’s completely normal and does not mean your eyelashes are all going to fall out!
- Some lash growth cycles are faster than others. You may find every few months, your lashes shed faster than other times. It usually means that you have a lot of new growth, and when you come in we will see a lot more lashes we can lash! Other times they might still look great at 4 or 5 weeks, as they have not shed much.
- No two sets of lashes are identical. We customize the styling, sizes, weights and curls to every individuals eye shape, natural lash condition and tastes. Each style looks different depending on how own eye shape. So please be aware that your lashes will not look identical to your friends, even if you request the same thing.
- Immediately after the lash application, some individuals with sensitivities can experience minor redness and dry eye. We try to minimize this where possible, so we will ask if you are sensitive beforehand. In most cases, this disappears within an hour or so and there’s no need to worry. Of course, call us if you are concerned.
- Expect between 2 – 3 weeks before you need an infill. On average, our clients come back every 2 weeks. Sets consisting of more lashes (glam and volume) will usually last longer than those will less (full, lite). Shorter lashes usually last longer too.
What’s not normal
- If you experience intense itching and or red/swollen eyelids in the first few days after the application. This could be an allergic reaction. Unfortunately, these are largely unavoidable – but luckily they are rare, and can be treated. Please contact us if you are worried.
- Excessive shedding of extensions off the natural lashes in the first few days. This is uncommon – but please contact us if you feel they are shedding rapidly within the first 3 days of application so we can troubleshoot and/or assess your lashes.
- If (after wearing extensions for a while) you find your eyes sometimes feel gritty and sandy – this can mean that you really need to clean your lashes more frequently/properly. Your technician can assess your lash line and give advice on the best way to clean your lashes.
If you wish to maintain your lashes, usually between 2-3 weeks, you will require infills. Timing depends on factors such as:
- Generally, the more lashes we apply, the longer they last (more to lose)
- How you treat them
- Your lash cycle and how fast you are shedding/growing lashes
- Your skin type (oilier complexions usually shed lashes faster)
We will infill up to 4 weeks, as long as at least 40% of the lashes have been retained well. Please let us know in advance if you think you will need more time than usual or want to add any additional services (i.e.brow wax) in.
Before you come for your next infill:
- It’s wise to book in advance – particularly for evening and weekend bookings – these times are most popular and can book out months in advance. If you would like to see a specific technician only, please let us know so we can ensure this!
- Let us know if you would like a anything changed, for example if you would like to upgrade to a thicker set, or try volume instead of classic. As we do need more time for different types of lashes
- Avoid coming in with heavy makeup that you will need to wash off that evening (as you will need to keep them dry)
- Make sure you aren’t wearing any eye makeup, that your eyes are perfectly clean. Unclean lids and lashes (particularly things we can’t see like lash mites – they thrive when lashes are never cleaned!) will prevent extensions from bonding well, and they may not last long
If you have any questions please contact us at anytime so that we can discuss and assist you further, we are here to help ensure you have the best experience possible.